Dinner, Dining and Desserts 4: Calico Rice and Franks

Oh my!
It's June and I have not finished my plan.
I have been working, but I haven't been posting.
Let me start with a quick round-up: The hoodie is done (finished last night).
I haven't finished—or started— any other 'craft' type project.
I didn't finish all the items in Dinner Dining and Dessert «mostly the cookies».

I did make the last dinner on Sunday night.
Let's talk about that.



Peach Spinach Vinaigrette

Can you screw up a salad? No not really.
But this salad wasn't really all that great. There were just no flavors that really stick-out. It was just kind of flat.

Does that make any sense?

We had had bacon and eggs a couple days prior to making the salad so I just saved back some of the bacon-that was helpful.

It would have really benefited from some strong cheese (Feta, Gorgonzola, even Parmesan). 


1 can (16 oz) cling peach slices in light syrup
1 bunch of fresh spinach
4 strips bacon
¼ pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

Drain peaches. Wash spinach; pat dry with paper towels and tear into bite-size pieces. Fry bacon until crisp; cool and crumble.
Place peaches, spinach, bacon and mushrooms in salad bowl; toss. In cruet or jar with a lid, place oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; cover. Shake until blended. Pour over salad; toss. Makes 6 servings
Easy to print recipe is here.

Future modification:Addition of Feta-cause it's always in our house. And I'd use olive oil for the dressing instead of vegetable oil.

Calico Rice and Franks

OK, read the ingredients on this one.
Go ahead, skip down and read them…I'll wait.


OK, what do you think? Sounds good, sounds bad? Sounds HORRIBLE doesn't it? Honestly, who would have thought to out those things together?

But honestly, it wasn't bad. Maybe it was the day…Sunday here was cold and rainy and we did pretty much nothing.
But it was oddly comforting.
Like soup on a rainy day.
My girls didn't really eat it. But DH and I did and like I said, oddly comforting.

Hotdogs were from a couple days previous when we cooked out on the grill. I didn't buy the correct size fruit cocktail and I had no onion so I used the green onions.



1 can (30 oz) fruit cocktail
1½ cups uncooked, white rice
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ cup prepared mustard
¼ cup chopped parsley
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
12 frankfurters

Drain fruit cocktail; reserve syrup. Add water to syrup to equal 3 cups. cook rice according to package directions using syrup-water mixture. Heat oven to 375°F. In baking dish 13 x 9 x 1½, mix cooked rice, fruit cocktail, mustard, parsley and onions. Score 8 frankfurters; reserve. Slice remaining frankfurters; stir into rice mixture. Top with reserved whole frankfurters. Bake 15 minutes or until frankfurters are cooked and rice mixture is hot. Makes 8 servings.

Easy to print recipe is here.

Future modification: None

Conclusion

I'd say…give it a try. Salad really is nice during the summer and the addition of FRESH peaches would be excellent especially with a strong cheese.

And try the rice and hot dogs…but save it for the cold rainy fall day.

Comments

Popular Posts